Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Running as Non-administrator

Along with the recent security frenzy, many people have suggested running as a non-administrator on Windows 2000/XP. I attended an MSDN event for developers dealing with ASP.net several months ago, and was surprised that the presenter was running as non-admin. He also gave some great tips on how to make it easier.

First off, you should read Aaron Margosis' blog in its entirety. If you need convinced that you should run as a non-admin, start with this post. Then read all the others. They start back in June. If you already read them, skip the rest of this paragraph, as I will summarize the info you can get there. I like the "easiest way" for non-techie people. Its rather simple, but effective. Pay attention to the "update" mentioned, where he suggests making the admin desktop easily distinguished from the non-admin desktops. For the more tech-savvy, I prefer the shortcut with RunAs setup. I change the color of windows such as explorer, when running them as administrator, and suggest you do the same. Alternatively, PrivBar can be used, but I have not installed or used it myself.

Ok, so it should be about 15-20 minutes later since you read all the above stuff, right? Normal people can go off and read their next blog now after they made the necessary changes to their system - but I have a special message for you developers...

I blogged about pet peeves in installation programs and applications. Refresh your memory regarding items #20, 19, and 18. (Do you see a trend? I already covered #9 in a previous post). Hopefully you are starting to see another connection forming between non-admin users and where installations and applications put and use their files. To reinforce this connection read Larry Osterman's post from today talking about running as non-admin. This stuff is applicable to us.

Make sure your testing staff is running as non-admin to catch these issues. Not mentioned in the article is that you should make sure you are using XP Professional with NTFS disks so you can catch the strange permissions problems that can add.

Other test paths include installing the application as administrator for "all users" and logging in as a different, unprivileged user and make sure everything operates correctly. MSI Developers - don't ignore the ICE warning about mixing per-user and per-machine entries in a single component. Lastly, make sure the settings in your application are user profile aware. I recall trying to figure out how to make a media player work on my Uncle's PC with different profiles. For good reason, my uncle didn't want to share a playlist with his son - but that wasn't possible. Bye-bye old software vendor, hello new software vendor...

If you are a developer that doesn't work for Microsoft, you can go onto the next blog now, unless you are a real glutton for punishment:)

At my company, the IT department is pretty lenient to the developers. They give us admin privs to our own machines. The problem is I don't want admin privileges all the time, just when I'm doing stuff that requires it. One solution is to give me a local account admin account to use when I need to admin my box, and only normal rights at the domain level. The problem with this approach is I can't access network shares using my domain account when I am running as local admin for tasks like installing software. Having two domain accounts is a nightmare. I don't know what the solution is - perhaps a flag to make the account have normal user privs, and when administrative privileges are required have the security subsystem prompt me for explicit permission to elevate that process. I guess I'd call it the "Admin Masquerade" group for lack of a better term.

No comments: