At the end of December 2011, I wrote to my federal representatives regarding my opposition to SOPA (US House) and PROTECT-IP (US Senate) legislation that portends to reduce piracy and theft of intellectual property.
- A link to the full text of the bill, including chronological history of successful amendments with time stamps.
- If the vote were held today, based on version at timestamp ???, I would vote (yea/nay/uncommitted)
- In the words of the representative, a summary of the intention of the bill.
- List of elements that the representative supports and believes critical to the success of the bill.
- List of elements that the representative opposes.
- List of elements that require additional flushing out or personal research. This list would be required if 'uncommitted'.
- List of bills pending in committee or in the queue for a floor vote that portend to address the same concerns.
- List of existing legislation on this topic and established case law that covers (or fails to cover) the subject matter of the new bill.
- Media reports, studies, corporate statements, lobbyist groups, etc. that advocate for the need of the new law.